Monday, December 24, 2007

Goomalling Geranium


I bought myself a Christmas present from amazon.com this year, titled The Art of Travel With A Sketchbook by Mari Le Glatin Keis. Mari points out that sketching is not about doing "good" drawings or paintings but about being in the moment and putting aside expectations and judgement. This was encouraging!! I've decided from now on to try to sketch and collage when I'm on the scene to try to really see what I'm looking at when I'm there and so record my travels. This is the first of my look and see phase, with a Geranium in Goomalling sketched in grey pastel with colour pencils filling in the background.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know one of my strongest memories of Marnie is the way she did exactly this...in wildflower season, she'd go for long walks through the bush with a sketchbook, stopping at each striking flower and drawing it from where she stood. Oddly enough, geraniums were also among her favourite flowers. Remember how she grew them in bundles all around the septic tank?

Kirralee Fisher said...

I wish that I'd gotten to know Marnie better, to have talked to her about art and to have found out more about who she was and what she thought. I don't remember very strongly the geraniums around the septic tank but I remember her love of wildflowers. I also remember her awesome stewed quinces.