Saturday, June 28, 2008

17th century men with attitude



I went to the Edinburgh College of Art degree show last weekend (in new shoes, so new blisters has meant no wandering this weekend!). I particularly enjoyed the Illustration room, which had some great visual diaries, together with books (both comic and children's books) illustrated and written by the students - some were really fantastic. I am rambling, however, I have noticed a tendency for the comic books I've seen to have buccaneers and I've also picked up the pirate theme in things I've seen elsewhere in Edinburgh. So I thought I would try my own hand at drawing buccaneers, with their flamboyant fashion and big attitudes. So far, I have found a few pictures of 17th century men's fashion to base the drawings on mainly at http://www.costumes.org/. These ones are just starters, but I haven't posted anything in my blog for so long, I wanted to post something so you know I haven't disappeared.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic, Kirralee! Love the way you've rendered the folds in the clothing. My favourite is the one in the cavalier hat - there's something suitably creepy/threatening about him! Your best work so far, in my entirely amateurish opinion ;)

Anonymous said...

this buccaneer is so good, you are getting better and better all the time.Mum

Anonymous said...

:)