Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Swept up

Got the headphones on and listening to reggae. Focus seems to be out of my reach today. I have been taking photos of the city and nature in order to create a flowing cohesive body of work. At the time I thought 6 images was not a lot of work to do but now I have to sort through about 400 photos to choose the images that will work together. While I have discovered tungsten light and how to overexpose things so I get very faint outlines of the subjects I am interested in, I really don't know how I am going to fit these together with everything else. Hence using my blog as a procrastination or should I say space to think? :) Well last week we had an intermedia project which was about drawing in the way we live our life, like footprints in the snow, mist on the window. The difference between art for art's sake and the art of everyday life. So because I like cleaning so much (ha ha only other people's houses or the studio!) I thought about the action of drawing with a broom. Sweeping up layers and layers of dust and the throw away paper and trodden on charcoal of my fellow students. And then I thought about the noise that a broom with stiff bristles makes and I wanted to record that. I had never done any video editing before either so I took the chance to use a broom cam (thank you God for masking tape and my pal Alice!) and edited it to very old school film format so that the viewer would focus on the sound of the sweeping, as the colour of the film somehow made focusing on the sound more difficult. So plug in your headphones....

No comments: