Sunday, October 14, 2007

Baby portrait



Portrait of my niece as baby with ink, graphite pencil and white chalk (based on Kathleen's photo - see Tiny Purple Fish June). The likeness isn't really there, however, after watching Star Portraits with Rolf Harris I think from now on I need to do a number of sketches to get the face likeness first and then get serious. I don't think getting serious up front works, particularly with ink as once ink is on paper, the damage is done! (Except white chalk does help to cover it up).

2 comments:

justin said...

This is fantastic Kirralee, I really like the style and you've captured her likeness really well. Good to see you posting stuff again - its been a while! Thanks for your comment on my costume sketch - I still didn't win the weekly prize, which is a downright slur on the quality of those undies!

Horse Feathers Saddlery said...

I agree. I think this is excellent. You've really caught her eyes and mouth, and the finger on the cheek is very sensitively rendered. I might give you more of my photos to "rip-off" if this is the result.