Sunday, September 27, 2009

Inside/outside



So I think I have finally learnt to do Friday projects on Friday, though because the time I finish is usually around midnight, the projects all seem to have a dark feel about them. The first two projects were spent looking inside my wardrobe, one in pencil (above) and the other in chalk pastels. I initially killed the pastel one by using a heavy blue outline so had to redo, but there is still this slight buzzing blue around it. This Friday, yes, you guessed it, was self-portrait time in the medium I think I find the most difficult to get to grips with, charcoal. I really should have done a head and shoulders shot as by midnight, I had this tiny little bit of charcoal and white chalk trying to figure out my face. I was trying to figure out what makes me, me - what is my distinctive characteristic. What makes the essence of who I am, externally and internally? The day before we were doing portraits of each other in class, and I thought I was getting to grips with capturing people's distinctive characteristics, but when it comes to me, poof. My dad thinks it's difficult because I can't see myself objectively, which makes sense. So any comments on what you think makes me me for future reference would be greatly helpful. I was reading the other day that when Lorenzo Ghiberti was making a sample of his work in order to gain a commission for the doors of San Giovanni, he continuously asked the townspeople and even foreigners what they thought of his
work, which apparently the other sculptors didn't. Vasari is of the view that the advice sought was the reason why Ghiberti executed a model which was very well worked out and without any defect whatsoever. So comments always welcome.


2 comments:

justin said...

I think both of these are excellent, especially the wardrobe sketch - that is amazing. It is very atmospheric, and the darkness fits the subject matter perfectly. The composition is terrific - I love it. Very impressed. I think your drawing skills are really growing. As for self-portraits. I find them impossibly difficult, esp to capture a likeness. In terms of what makes you - you, tough question. Kathleen is really good at teasing out answers to those questions!

Horse Feathers Saddlery said...

I'd say fragility and fun ... obviously not both at once. You're also very earnest and strive to find more meaning to life than the average person.

How's that for a summary of you?

In return, you can do the same for us!