Monday, October 5, 2009

The Shore


On a windy Monday last week, class was spent out at the Shore gathering "information" on co-existence. The days that followed were used to push the ideas further through lino prints and collage (above). For some unknown reason, I was attracted to a set of handles bolted to old wood, overlooking the water. Perhaps it was the contrast of the smoothness of the handles to the rough, graininess of the wood, or these elements co-existing against the ever-changing surface of the water. Trying to capture the quality of the water was difficult to say the least. Sometimes the wind would lap elliptical shapes into it, sometimes peaklike, sometimes short little choppy strokes. We have this saying now in class about woody wood, peoply people, watery water or one of my favourites has been the bootiness of boots. I think I managed to capture the woodiness of the wood and hopefully the wateriness of the water. This week we are looking at Visual Communication further and it's doing my head in a bit. I think the subject I've chosen is a bit troublesome - I'm trying to tie the waxing and waning of a person's life with the crescendo/decrescendo of noise, so I will see how that goes.

3 comments:

Horse Feathers Saddlery said...

Sounds really cool to me (pun intended). I particularly like the collage ... what materials have you used? You haven't been studying that long, but you've already done sculpture, drawing, collage and print-making!

Kirralee Fisher said...

Ha ha! :) someone had left some painted up card around parts of which looked like the ocean so stuck that on and then the bitumen part again someone had taken some poster or magazine print on this big bit of card so ripped that up. Put it all together with acrylics/poster paint. Crazy with all the media we've done so far, doing good old brown cardboard box sculpture again this week though!

justin said...

You certainly got the woodiness of the wood in the lino print! I think it looks cool.