Friday, September 7, 2012

24/7 Prayer Room

Well, I managed to paint my map of the world on the wall, albeit in a short time of about 5 hours. I was just pretty chuffed that I managed to get it done as I had a friend visiting from Australia and wasn't going to get another chance. Work has also been a bit too hectic of late, so I didn't manage to actually make it into the 24/7 prayer room for a 1 hour prayer slot. I would have really loved to have seen how the room finally came together and I think there was an idea of stringing the different countries together on my map, like a continuous prayer chain. Of course, my map had a little bit of artistic licence I confess, and being based on a couple of 16th century maps (Typus Orbis Universalis and Typus Orbis Terrarum) had some land masses in there that are not on the current map of the world. One of which being  Terra Australis Nondum Cognita which I kind of made into Antartica, as well as putting a current Australia in. Why not? Australia deserves double credits for being my homeland. I also painted the UK bright pink so it couldn't be missed! Interestingly enough, I was doing an inventory of a flat this week (after being locked out for an hour...surprise surprise) and in one of the bedrooms there was a world map paper shade for the light. The cleaner came in with a normal paper shade in his hand and said, "I was going to change it, but it's beautiful. Should I change it?" And I said, "Nope, I think it's beautiful too, I think you should leave it". And we both stood there for a few seconds gazing at the world map lit up by the light. Kind of a bonding moment, weird eh, but good. Oh well, speaking of work, I have to go do some, but here are some photos of my world map, together with some other walls that were being set up to help inspire people to think about God's heart for the nations. 







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should try harder next time

Kirralee Fisher said...

Fair enough said. Any specific constructive feedback here or just a general in all areas?...

Mark Rosenquist said...

Groovy looking map. I like how big North America looks. Hahahaha!!! =) What's that yellow piece of land way off to the left? Did those old cartographers think that New Zealand was that big? Maybe so, I guess.

Kirralee Fisher said...

Yeah, I made North America look big just for you!!! Hahaha. The yellow piece of land to the left is meant to be Guinea I think. Suspicious in the end it worked out to be part of South East Asia above Australia. I really owe you an email - will get on it soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Useful content and awesome design you got here! I want to thank you for sharing your solutions and taking the time into the stuff you publish! Sublime work!

Anonymous said...

Great post however I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Cheers!

Kirralee Fisher said...

In terms of the 24/7 prayer, what happens is that our church (St Paul's and St George's) have a prayer room set up for contemplation and prayer for a whole week at certain times of the year (24 hours each day). People sign up for an hour slot to prayer in groups or by themselves. There is a different theme each time. This time it was broadly God's heart for the nations. So art work and text and other things are used to help people think of who or what to pray for, such as people they know who need God's love (if you're a Christian this means everyone! :)) or for war torn or famine zones for God to intervene or for anything else really that comes to our heart and troubles us. Prayer pretty much means putting our requests to God and for building a relationship with Him - as you would if you talked to anyone. Also it includes saying thank you for the good things too! The 24/7 prayer team that set up the room, really had this is mind and tried our best to help people focus on God's love (for His creation as a whole). Hope this helps answer your question and is not patronising in any way? :o)