Saturday, August 18, 2012

More map ideas...

So, there is currently a moth perched above me on the ceiling. This is the moth...

I wonder what  it is like to view the world upside down. Do you get a headache after a while? I guess the moth gave up on going crazy around the spotlights after a while. It is obviously a very chilled moth, but unfortunately for it, the window is now closed so there is no escape....muhahaha. No it will be okay, I'll be nice and let it out tomorrow :). Well, re art, I went to see Thingsplace at the Superclub yesterday with a friend. John Brown was one of my tutor's at ECA in my first year and doesn't have a web site, so it was good to finally get to see some of his work. Very good, it worked very well and very humorous while making a serious (I think) critique at the same time. I liked his "Strewn Crap" and "Loon" pieces especially. It was also good to see some of Gordon Brown's work there, Head of Painting ECA, which I also liked and thought it worked in really well with John's. Liam Walker, recently graduated ECA student, also had these great matchboxes there. I really admire artists who can paint things small and in fine, interesting detail, which Liam seems to be able to do (not that I have ever met him so hope it's not offensive to use a first names basis). No photos of the exhibition, but here is the postcard I picked up....

I've been sick most of the week, resulting in going to sleep early with bad headaches, so my maps have not progressed well! But finally seem to be on the mend after quaffing large quantities of oranges and citrus juice. I got my antique maps book which I like so far and have just been copying some things I found interesting. I really don't know how this is going to work out and honestly if they still need me - I may have got lost on the email list! Oh well, I plan to rock up on the door step come Monday so will see what happens :D. Oh, that reminds me of Game of Thrones. I absolutely love the start when they have the map and things popping up like clock work and the music that goes with it is amazing.




2 comments:

Mark Rosenquist said...

I was fascinated with maps from a very early age. When I was a boy I would look at maps for hours and make up imaginary wars between countries in my head. I know---it probably sounds weird---I was an unusual child. Anyway, I became a map prodigy and an expert on geography. By the time I was 9 or 10 years old, I knew all 50 U.S. states and the names of their state capitals.

Kirralee Fisher said...

I would say that you weren't an unusual child, just a very interesting one! :) That is pretty cool to be a map prodigy. I am starting to get into old maps more and now I'm doing this botanical illustration course, the history of travelling around the globe exploring new worlds and collecting new plants is becoming quite fascinating.