Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Western Isles

Ahoy mateys! I have recently been away to The Outer Hebrides (also known as the Western Isles) for a week's holiday and am back again. I have also just finished the Chronicles of Narnia where the excellent story of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader frequently talks about how the fresh sea air gives you a wonderful appetite. Quoting this to my friends on the trip gave me a guilt-free excuse to eat quite a bit and indulge in a nightly gin and tonic and glass of wine. One of the girl's on the trip made a delicious Thyme and Nectarine gin and tonic. Top notch! Oh and quite often also in Narnia, the Pevensies keep saying, "He's a brick!" meaning a right good old chap. You will have to excuse me, I've been quoting Narnia non-stop since my friend gave it to me for my birthday in June. Reading it as an adult has been somewhat of a revelation to me and I am beginning to think about things in a new way.

As far as art is going, I did a few sketches in Eriskay on the beach and the thatched cottage in Benbecula we stayed at. Given I have got a contract for the new few months with a lot of bus commuting, I am endeavouring to draw bus interiors on the way to work with a view to making them more fantastical. 45 minutes on the bus in the morning isn't a lot of time and getting the same seat can be a bit tricky, but at least I turn up to work with a bit of spark. Here are the few sketches I did at the Isles. I am not really sure how this year is going to progress in terms of art as I'm also aiming to grow my accountancy business at the same time (note with a focus on creatives!). I need a studio and I also need to somehow find a way to get over to Australia this time next year for a few weeks. I know - take it one day at a time.

K Fisher (2014) Benbecula thatched cottage

K Fisher (2014) Eriskay

K Fisher (2014) Eriskay colour beach


2 comments:

Mark Rosenquist said...

I like the top drawing at the thatched cottage. That's very good. Glad you have been reading C.S. Lewis. I think my mom read all of the Chronicles of Narnia to me when I was little---or maybe not all of them, but some of them.
I grew up in a house with plenty of books. This isn't surprising since my mom was once a librarian and a teacher and my dad also was a teacher for a time.
C.S. Lewis wrote some awesome things. By the way, I hope you think I am a brick. Hahahaha! =)

Kirralee Fisher said...

Thanks Mark :). That would explain your love of writing! Yes I think you're a brick! Waiting to see the lyrics of the new song.