Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Sink City

Well it has taken 2 months to complete my exercise and final project for Sebastian's Under the Sink City. Still so much to learn - particularly about tonal values with watercolour and how to integrate watercolour effectively with ink. I am always worried about going in too hard with block colour and making things too flat, but I think in the final piece I probably held back too much and the colour wasn't bright and bold enough. Maybe the trick is to go full swing for the next piece, learn how far I can push it and make a mess and then back off a bit for the one after that. I enjoyed this project - and thanks to the wasp who landed in my bath a couple of months ago which inspired me to make lots of little wasps. I also learnt not to include text in the actual body of the work due to translation issues - but I am glad that I made that mistake now in a course, rather than later on. I also need to keep up to date with what subjects, styles and themes that are currently being covered by major publishers in the field of children's illustration. That is my to do list - what is yours?! Over the next 2 months, I am going to be focusing on the illustrations in my collaboration project. I can't wait to see what happens from there.

K Fisher, 2017, CBIC Exercise 2, Ink on Cartridge Paper

K Fisher, 2017, CBIC Project 2, Ink and Watercolour on watercolour paper

No comments: