Thursday, April 10, 2014

Mhairi the foil sculptor

Last summer I worked at the National Gallery at the Mound, which was a lot of fun. My favourite room was A1, which I like to title Heaven - with all the fat little baby Jesus' and the weird Medieval works. There is a work I like in particular, when you walk through the door on your left. A painting of all these Saints getting killed in different ways - by dragons, drowning, demons - in this one big kaleidoscope image which is very cool if you ever get the chance to see it. One of the girls at the Mound, Mhairi, is brilliant and I think has had brilliant fun in making little creations out of foil. There has been the foil moustache, the foil horses and their riders and the foil men in boats, the latter of which featured at the Peter Doig exhibition. Surreptitiously of course. Nicely placed right near the comments book. I have to say that those little men in boats got a lot of photos from visitors.

Anyway, on leaving Mhairi made for me my own little foil creation - a Kangaroo! I found it a bit hard to place my little Kangaroo in a position that shows her off. For some reason the door handle seemed to work best. I've also put a couple of photos of the Otters I made out of Fimo for a Model project we had last year. You know, they're not exactly smooth, but trying to figure out how to make these just about busted my head. 

Mhairi (2013). Foil Kangaroo

K Fisher (2013). Bubby Otter [Fimo]

K Fisher (2013) Otters

No comments: